Friday, April 3, 2015

"Unlikely Lovers"

Blogging Friends.... If I could use one word to describe how 2015 has been for me {Thus far!!} as a writer, an artist who paints pictures with words? It would be "experimenting". See, in 2014, I established myself as a "children's book writer", and created/posted twelve stories.... Most of which were holiday-themed. It was an excellent start for myself as a rookie fictional book writer. And I knew exactly who I was, which genre I landed in. 2014 felt safe. But then something happened in November that shook things up for me as an artist. I realized that I am not a very good "children's book writer", as my stories are far too long. So who am I, what genre do I land in? It felt as though I lost my identity. After this cosmic question mark ate at me for a while {As I continued writing fictional books!! Because I need to!! Writing monthly fictional books keeps me sane!!} it became a liberating feeling and opened doors to experimenting creatively!! Now? I do not land in any specific genres. I am a free-flying Hummingbird who flits about from flower to flower!! Love you later.
I "wrote" this story sometime as a kid while playing with my Pet Pals Kevin doll {Jonah} and my Mermaid Skipper doll {Fae}. This is--I guess--my own version of Walt Disney's animated film, The Little Mermaid. As usual? I added so many more facts and details to my original story!! I hope you enjoy it!!  
"Unlikely Lovers"
They say that opposites attract. Especially when it concerns relationships and marriages. But despite a certain couples' stark different personalities? They still go strong. Divorce is neither an option or thought in their minds. They complete one another with an amazing Lifetime of happy marriage, love and support!! Opposites attract. And when Jonah saw Fae, he took the old saying to an entirely new level!! For they came from completely different worlds. She was a mermaid who resided undersea. Fae continuously surrounded herself with brightly-colored tropical-looking fish. He was a human being who resided on land. Jonah lived in Maui, Hawaii with his female floppy-eared, black and white, spotted Dalmatian mix named Vaca. As an obsessed dog lover, she's far more than just a pet to him. Vaca is his little girl!!
Jonah was scuba diving deep in the ocean one day when he first saw Fae. His heart pounded hard. He observed her. Fae's swimming movements were graceful. She wore brightly-colored orange seashells on her breasts like a bra. Fae's thin bare abdomen was beautifully tan. She had wet long blond locks that flowed down to her curvy waist. Fae's eyes were a unique, magical, pink and purple. She wore twain matching shiny pearls on her earlobes. Fae's mermaid fin was a brightly-colored orange and lavender. To Jonah? Fae was far more tropical-looking than any fish that he had ever seen!! And just like that? Jonah entered Fae's world!! Because just like that? Jonah fell in love with a mermaid!!
On another day, Fae emerged from the ocean, effortlessly slithered up to the top of large rocks and sat there, as warm sunshine momentarily kissed her bronze skin. Then she saw Jonah. Her heart swooned. Fae observed him from a nearby distance. He too, saw her, and an attractive smile spread across his face!! Fae swam closer. Jonah had curly light brown hair with blond streaks in it. Jonah was playing fetch with Vaca on the sandy beach. He looked fit and athletic as his muscular arms repeatedly threw slobbery multicolored tennis balls. Jonah was barefoot, so wet sand covered his feet. He wore black and white spotted shorts that matched Vaca's fur coat pattern. His bright yellow tank top had an adorable Dalmatian picture on it. Underneath that was a black and white spotted t-shirt which--like the shorts--matched Vaca's fur coat pattern. To Fae? Jonah was cute!! Because just like that? Fae fell in love with a human!!
One day? Jonah swam out toward those large rocks where Fae sat as though she were patiently waiting for him. He effortlessly climbed to the top and sat by her side. There they quickly chatted before Fae's mermaid fin was in danger of drying up.
"Hello there!!" Jonah nervously said, "You are a mermaid. Right? I have never seen--much less been this close--to a mermaid before!! I did not even know they existed!! I have only read about mermaids in books. Which are, of course, fictional!! And I have also seen mermaids in films. Which are fictional, too!! But this.... This is amazing!!"
And you are breathtakingly beautiful!! thought Jonah.
"Yes, I am a mermaid," smiled Fae graciously, "And we do, in fact, exist!! No, this is not a dream you are having!! I am real!! And the feeling is mutual.... Although I have observed humans on shore, I've never been this close to one before!!"
Your eyes are as blue as Hawaii's clear skies!! thought Fae, I love that in a guy!!
"My name is Fae, by the way", she said, "What's yours?"
"Jonah," he answered.
"I need to go," said Fae, as she touched her sun kissed, rapidly drying mermaid fin, "I am sorry, Jonah!! But I will return!! I promise!!"
"I understand," said Jonah, "I, too, will return!! I promise!! How about first thing tomorrow morning?"
"Alright!!" said Fae, "First thing tomorrow morning. I will be sitting right here on these rocks!!"
Then Jonah longingly watched Fae as she gracefully disappeared in foamy ocean waters. So began the complicated dating process of an Earth-dwelling human and a mermaid!! Every day, Jonah swam out toward those large rocks to see Fae. Meanwhile, their romance and relationship blossomed quickly as they became fast friends!!
"I have seen you play fetch with your dog on the beach," said Fae during one of their dates, "What is his or her name?"
"Vaca," answered Jonah, "She is my baby!!"
"Vaca?" said Fae, "That is an unusual name!! Does it have a special meaning?"
"Yes," answered Jonah, "Vaca means 'cow' in Spanish!! Her 'Dalmatian' spot pattern {She is a mutt!! That's the best kind of 'breed'!! Well, in my opinion it is, anyway!!} reminds me of a dairy cow's spot pattern!!"
"That is clever!!" said Fae, "I love it!!"
"I need to go," said Fae, as she touched her sun kissed, rapidly drying mermaid fin, "I am sorry, Jonah!! But I will return!! I promise!!"
"I understand," said Jonah, "I, too, will return!! I promise!! First thing tomorrow morning again?"
"Alright!!" said Fae, "First thing tomorrow morning again!! As always, I will be sitting right here on these rocks!!"
Then Jonah longingly watched Fae as she gracefully disappeared in foamy ocean waters. So continued the complicated dating process of an Earth-dwelling human and a mermaid!!
"This is funny!!" laughed Fae during another one of their dates, "Your name's Jonah!! In the Bible, he was swallowed by a whale. Well, actually. Jonah was swallowed by a large fish!! That is, if you want accurate Biblical facts!! And I am a mermaid!! That means I'm half fish!! And you--Jonah--have fallen in love with me!! A half fish creature!! How ironic is that?!"
Jonah laughed. Hard.
"Jonah fell in love with a half fish creature!!" he said, "Now that is poetic!!"
Soon the two unlikely lovers got married in an undersea wedding surrounded by family, friends and brightly-colored tropical-looking fish as their guests!! Fae held a bouquet of beautiful, lavender-colored, unique-looking Hawaiian flowers that matched her mermaid fin. Jonah? Dressed in bright orange scuba diving equipment and a lavender-colored suit that matched Fae's mermaid fin, he was quite the sight to behold!! When their minister, Tom, had Jonah exchange his vows? He nodded enthusiastically behind the orange scuba diving mask and gave Fae two vehement thumbs up.
"Alright...." declared Minister Tom at last, "Then Jonah, you may kiss the bride!!"
As soon as those frequently rehearsed words left Minister Tom's mouth? Still undersea, Jonah dramatically ripped his bright orange scuba diving mask off and locked lips with Fae in an unforgettable passionate kiss!! It was official!! Jonah and Fae were married!! However. Jonah still resided on land. Fae continued to live undersea. So began the complicated separate Life of an Earth-dwelling human and a mermaid!! Jonah went scuba diving undersea to visit his wife. Every single day!! Fae met her husband on top of the large rocks. Every single day!! And--amazingly--this odd arraignment worked out.
Until, that was, Fae gave birth to their three beautiful triplet daughters who they named Xena, Zelda and Leia!! Jonah, of course, wore his scuba diving equipment when he met them undersea!! Xena was the first baby to miraculously emerge from Fae's body. She had blond hair--like her Mom--and a lavender-colored mermaid fin.
"Awww...." whispered Fae as she held her firstborn daughter, "Xena is so adorable!! And look!! Xena's eyes are as blue as Hawaii's clear skies!! Just like her Daddy's!!"
Jonah smiled proudly behind his scuba diving mask.
"Xena is breathtakingly beautiful, like her Mommy!!" he said after momentarily removing his scuba diving mask's regulator.
Zelda was the second baby to miraculously emerge from Fae's body. She, too, had blond hair--like her Mom--and a lavender-colored mermaid fin.
"Hey...." exclaimed Jonah as he held his second born daughter after once again momentarily removing his scuba diving mask's regulator, "Xena and Zelda look like identical twins!! That is incredible!!"
"And look!!" said Fae, "Zelda's eyes are also as blue as Hawaii's clear skies!! Just like her Daddy's!!"
And last but never least? Leia was the third baby to miraculously emerge from Fae's body. She had light brown hair--like her Dad--and blue eyes. However. Leia was a precious surprise to both Jonah and Fae. Because unlike her sisters? Leia was a human!! And sans any newborn-sized scuba diving equipment, she could quickly drown!! So, instinctively, Jonah rushed his third born daughter toward the shore. Fae's heart broke--while holding Xena and Zelda--as she was never given any opportunities to bond with Leia. On the shore? Jonah ripped his scuba diving mask off and immediately gave an unresponsive bare naked Leia quick cardiopulmonary resuscitation {C.P.R.} until oxygen filled her lungs.
"Leia looks so tiny and helpless," Jonah nervously whispered while holding his infant daughter after walking home from the hospital, "How on Earth am I supposed to raise her? As basically a single Daddy? For I am on my own...."
So began the complicated single parenthood of an Earth-dwelling human and a mermaid!! Sans any infant-sized scuba diving equipment, Jonah could not safely swim undersea with Leia for visits. So Fae {While carrying Xena and Zelda} met them on the large rocks until their fins were in danger of drying up. Fae held, talked sweetly to, cradled and bonded with Leia. Jonah? He did the same with Xena and Zelda, as well. Meanwhile, Fae handed Jonah several bottles of pumped breast milk for Leia. This happened every single day.
"Sweet Leia, Mommy's here," said Fae, "I love you so much.... Just the same as Xena and Zelda.... Please remember that.... Just because I live undersea and not on land with you doesn't discount my love, baby Leia...."
Fae blinked back wet hot tears. Jonah {While holding Xena and Zelda} silently comforted his wife.
"Xena, Zelda," said Jonah, "I love you both so much.... So much. I will strive my very best to co-parent and protect you.... Please remember that.... Just because I reside on land and not undersea with you doesn't mean I'm not your Father...."
"We need to go," Fae, abruptly said as she touched her sun kissed, rapidly drying mermaid fin, "I will see you tomorrow...."
Jonah nodded as he reluctantly handed Xena and Zelda to Fae.
"See you tomorrow...." he said.
Fae reluctantly handed Leia to Jonah. Then he longingly watched as she, Xena and Zelda gracefully disappeared in foamy ocean waters. But this complicated, separate Life, single parenthood arrangement of an Earth-dwelling human and a mermaid can only last so long. Soon loneliness settled in. Because--with such unfortunate circumstances--Jonah and Fae were obviously not living together like normal couples should. As resulted? The two unlikely lovers lacked intimacy with one another. Soon discontentment overwhelmed Jonah and Fae.
"This is not working," Fae finally said during a visit on the large rocks as she delivered several bottles of pumped breast milk for Leia, "We are married.... Right? Or did I miss something here?! We are married.... Yet you and I live in twain completely different worlds!! Jonah.... My heart shatters into a billion pieces every time we part ways!! Because I love you, I love you, I love you so!! And now that we have these beautiful triplet daughters? My heart shatters even more when we part ways!! It feels like the only thing I have to offer Leia is breast milk. And my heart cannot take any more shattering!!"
Fae wiped away wet hot tears.
"I understand," said Jonah as he comforted his wife, "The feeling is mutual. I love you, I love you, I love you so, as well!! I also know that I cannot keep my promises to Xena and Zelda. It is simply not possible when I reside on land!! And I have always been a man of my word.... So this is killing me!! Yes, we are married.... But Fae.... It feels as though you and I are divorced!!"
"I know," said Fae, "There must be something we can do to change things. Just imagine Xena and Zelda being separated from their triplet sister Leia throughout Life!! But what?"
"I have no idea," said Jonah.
"We need to go," said Fae--discouraged--as she touched her sun kissed, rapidly drying mermaid fin, "I guess I will see you tomorrow...."
Jonah nodded as he reluctantly handed Xena and Zelda to Fae.
"I guess so...." Jonah said.
Fae reluctantly handed Leia to Jonah. Then he longingly watched as she, Xena and Zelda gracefully disappeared in foamy ocean waters.
Hmmm.... Jonah suddenly thought later while stroking Vaca's velvet-soft black and white spotted fur as Leia slept, If veterinarians can declaw felines.... And.... If women can undergo hysterectomies.... Then.... Why couldn't we find a doctor somewhere who can de-fin mermaids and merbabies?
The next day when Jonah {As he carried Leia} met Fae {As she held Xena and Zelda} on the large rocks, he shared his epiphany with Fae while she handed him several bottles of pumped breast milk for Leia.
"That just might work!!" said Fae as a hopeful smile spread across her face, "There are doctors undersea!! I can make appointments with some!! While I'm there, I will ask if any of them surgically de-fin mermaids and merbabies!!"
"That would be great!!" exclaimed Jonah as an attractive smile spread across his face, "I imagine that doctors undersea will be more likely to de-fin mermaids and merbabies than on land, anyway!!"
"Wow...." declared Fae as she cuddled Leia close, "We will finally be one big, complete, happy family!! Can you believe it?!"
"Fingers crossed!!" Jonah optimistically said as he did the hand gesture, "And knock on wood!!"
"We need to go," said Fae, as she touched her sun kissed, rapidly drying mermaid fin, "I will see you tomorrow!!"
Jonah nodded as he reluctantly handed Xena and Zelda to Fae.
"See you tomorrow!!" he said.
Fae reluctantly handed Leia to Jonah. Then he longingly watched as she, Xena and Zelda gracefully disappeared in foamy ocean waters.
Eventually? Fae did meet with some doctors to ask whether or not they could de-fin mermaids and merbabies. Finally? One out of four surgeons that she asked said "yes"!!
"Dr. Phelps," said Fae, while holding a sleeping Xena and Zelda, "This is going to sound like an odd question. But do you de-fin mermaids and merbabies?"
Fae crossed her fingers.
"Yes, I do," said Dr. Phelps, a ginger-haired merman, "But it, of course, comes with risks and warnings. This is an extremely rare operation called de-mermaid surgery. I will put you {And your babies} under anesthesia. So you {And your babies} will need to wake up from that. Mermaids go under the knife as I remove their fins. Now, they are bonded to your legs from birth, so there will be unavoidable bleeding. Which can attract sharks. You {And your babies} could also bleed to death. It is a grave--no pun intended--possibility. You'll be unable to swim sans your fin, so you {And your babies} could drown. It is also a grave--no pun intended--possibility. I am sorry to be so negative. You will need to learn your first steps as a human.... If in the worst case scenario, you are not paralyzed by de-mermaid surgery. Also, this operation is riskier on babies than adults. Any questions?"
Fae swallowed hard. She held Xena and Zelda close.
"No," Fae replied.
"Well, I have a question," said Dr. Phelps, "I completely respect your decision to undergo de-mermaid surgery. I truly do. But why would you want to change something so drastically and permanently about yourself? I am just curious. Why would you want to rob your babies of their birthrights as mermaids? Why? Aren't you happy being a mermaid?"
"No," was all Fae could say, "I am not."
The next day when Fae {As she held Xena and Zelda} met Jonah {As he carried Leia} on the large rocks--while she handed him several bottles of pumped breast milk for Leia--Fae mentioned her appointment with Dr. Phelps.
"Jonah...." said Fae, "I am worried about the risk factors of undergoing de-mermaid surgery. Is possible death even worth it?!"
Jonah's heart did a nervous flip flop within his chest at the very thought. But outwardly, he did not want Fae to see his fear.
"There are risk factors with every surgical procedure," said Jonah as he cuddled Xena and Zelda close, "Whether it be a minor, major, common or rare operation. When Vaca was spayed, her veterinarian, Dr. Chase, warned me of every single possible scary risk factor!! I remember worrying about my little girl real bad!! Yet not one risk ever even happened!! When my Mom underwent an emergency operation to have her appendix removed, it was the same thing. Dr. Graham warned her of every single possible scary risk factor!! But it was operation successful!!"
Fae sighed.
"Maybe...." she said, "The safest decision to make is finally gaining self-acceptance.... I am a mermaid.... You're an earth-dwelling human.... Xena and Zelda are merbabies.... Leia is a human.... Maybe.... We should finally accept our separate, married, single parenthood Life.... Forever...."
"No!!" Jonah vehemently said, "I think you, Xena and Zelda should undergo de-mermaid surgery. I do!! I will be right there with you during the entire procedure, if possible. For love and support. Fae.... I will not let anything bad happen to you, Xena or Zelda!! I promise!!"
Fae smiled. She knew--sans a doubt--that they were in good hands with Jonah.
"We need to go," Fae, apprehensively said as she touched her sun kissed, rapidly drying mermaid fin, "I will make an appointment with Dr. Phelps."
Jonah reluctantly handed Xena and Zelda to Fae.
"It will be fine!!" he assured his wife.
Fae reluctantly handed Leia to Jonah. Then he longingly watched as she, Xena and Zelda gracefully disappeared in foamy ocean waters.
Surgery day arrived. Jonah entrusted Leia to a responsible, dark skinned, brunette-haired, teenage babysitter named Gabrielle. While sporting his scuba diving equipment, he joined Fae, Xena and Zelda undersea just as promised. This was it!! Fae, Xena and Zelda were undergoing de-mermaid surgery!! Soon Jonah would have his entire family under one roof!! Dr. Phelps tended to Fae first. While Xena and Zelda napped, Jonah held her hand throughout the entire operation. As soon as Fae's anesthesia set in, Dr. Phelps went to work. It was a major procedure!! Dr. Phelps carefully cut open Fae's brightly-colored orange and lavender mermaid fin between her legs. As resulted? Fresh blood freely gushed out.
Jonah gasped in panic, as his heart raced fast. Still holding Fae's hand, he nervously looked around for sharks. There were none in sight.
Will Fae bleed to death? he could not help but wonder, I cannot lose her!! I don't want to raise motherless triplet daughters!!
Unfazed, Dr. Phelps skillfully stopped her bleeding. He continued to cut through Fae's fin. Eventually, beneath her tropical-looking scales Jonah saw--for the very first time--twain long, slender, snow-white, attractive, bare legs. Once she awoke from anesthesia, he rushed a naked Fae toward shore. Jonah removed his scuba diving mask's regulator. He carried Fae home and quickly found some clean woman's clothing for her. Then Jonah stroked an excitable Vaca's velvet-soft fur.
"Fae, I need to go back undersea," explained Jonah, "Stay right here with Leia and Vaca. Gabrielle will take good care of you!! I am going to bring Xena and Zelda home!!"

"Alright...." muttered Fae, still groggy from anesthesia.

Jonah put his scuba diving mask's regulator back on, athletically dove into foamy ocean waters and swiftly swam toward where Dr. Phelps would perform de-mermaid surgery on both babies. At the same time. As soon as Xena and Zelda's anesthesia set in, Dr. Phelps went to work. With one hand? Dr. Phelps carefully cut open Xena's lavender-colored merbaby fin between her chubby baby legs. With the other hand? Dr. Phelps carefully cut open Zelda's lavender-colored merbaby fin between her chubby baby legs. As resulted? Fresh blood freely gushed out from both Xena and Zelda's fins.

Jonah gasped in panic, as his heart raced fast. He nervously looked around for sharks. There were none in sight.

Will Xena and Zelda bleed to death? he could not help but wonder, De-mermaid surgery is riskier on babies than adults!!

Unfazed, Dr. Phelps skillfully stopped their bleeding. He continued to cut through Xena and Zelda's fins. Once they awoke from anesthesia, Jonah rushed his bare naked babies toward shore. Then he ripped off the scuba diving equipment!! Jonah quickly carried both babies home where Fae, herself, walked toward Leia's dresser and found some clean baby clothing for them. Step by step by steady step!!

"Fae!!" exclaimed an astounded Jonah as he stroked Vaca's black and white spotted fur, "You are walking!!"

"I could not pin her down," shrugged Gabrielle before she got paid and left for home, "Trust me, I tried!!"

"Leia needed her Mommy," said an unapologetic Fae, "Once my anesthesia finally wore off, maternal instincts commanded me!!"

Jonah smiled as--one by one--he watched Fae breastfeed Xena, Zelda and Leia for the very first time!! It finally happened!! Jonah, Fae, Xena, Zelda, Leia {And Vaca!!} were under one roof as a big, complete, content family!! And--yes--they all lived happily ever after....         




No comments:

Post a Comment