Thursday, November 5, 2020

Completely Empty, But Not Vacant At All

A red-colored Christmas box. It is full of decorations that I display in my little bedroom every single year. And this Christmas box also contains memories. A memory of Shadow, {she was my first dog, who died and travelled toward The Rainbow Bridge on June 15th, 2010}, a memory of Yoda, {he was my second cat who disappeared when I was fifteen years old}, and multiple memories of Rose. Inside this Christmas box is Rose’s red-colored holiday bandana that she got from PetsMart several years ago after a routine toenail clipping. This silk-like bandana has white-colored reindeer, green-colored hearts, and white-colored snowflakes printed on it. I have seven adorable pictures, {two of which she barked at me}, with this bandana around Rose’s neck!! But she only wore it once. I always use Rose’s bandana as a makeshift ‘doily’ in my bedroom. I have been doing that for several years. Inside this Christmas box is also a mug which says: ‘Santa’s spoiled dog’ on it. My Grandparents gave me that cup several years ago. If memory serves me right? When I received that mug, Rose was my living dog, not Shadow. I display it in my bedroom. I only drank out of that mug once. Last, but not least, inside this Christmas box, is Rose’s soft red and white-colored stocking. You know what? I have spent ten Christmas mornings pulling dog treats and toys out of that stocking for an excitable Rose. Now, it hangs on my bedroom wall, ‘completely empty, but not vacant at all’. I knew that opening this red-colored Christmas box as I decorated was going to feel emotional…. Peace and Love, Mary Lou

Edited by Kara Kent!!

Your soft red and white stocking hangs on my wall;

It’s completely empty, but not vacant at all;

Because your stocking is full of memories;

Like plush squeaky toys, and dog treats with bacon/cheese!!

Together, we had ten Christmas celebrations;

All of which, Baby, were special occasions;

In 2019, you’d been aging sans warning;

I knew this would be our last Christmas morning;

Yes, I predicted it, as though I’m a psychic;

‘Cause I felt your demise like an eccentric;

Rose, do you remember our last Christmas Day?

I bought nine dog treats, Babe, I got carried away!!

As resulted, Shadow’s stocking needed borrowed;

Because I knew that you might not see tomorrow;

Your soft red and white stocking hangs on my wall;

It’s completely empty, but not vacant at all….

2 comments:

  1. mmmmm, bacon and cheese treatos...

    Nuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuk....
      Thank-you for the comment!!
      'mmmmm, bacon and cheese treatos...' I, myself, am feeling hungry just thinking about those dog treats…. And they were store-bought!! Hee, hee, hee…. ;op
      Peace and Love, Mary Lou

      Delete