Monday, August 26, 2024

National Dog Day

Backstory. On June 15th, 2020, my second dog, {my Beagle/German Shepherd mix}, Rose Elizabeth, was euthanized after suffering from arthritis, kidney failure, and canine degenerative myelopathy. On June 1st, 2021, we relocated from the, {rainy and beautiful}, Pacific Northwest to, {hot humid, yet still beautiful}, Central Texas. With moving being an incredibly HUGE Life change for a new dog, I wisely decided to wait until we settled into the Lone Star State before my new canine's arrival. Long story short.... We were having a brand-new house built, so my family and I resided in an apartment during its construction. This was ONLY going to take three months. Or so we thought. Several complications later, and three months turned into nearly eight. So, I waited, waited, and waited to get my third dog. I needed to have patience. There were some heartbreaking and soul bleeding events that happened in the middle, but I will not go into details. On May 14th, 2022, I adopted/rescued my third mutt!! I named her Essie, {it means star}, Everglades, {that was her shelter name. Bonus.... All of my dogs, dead and alive, have a nature name.... Everglades is a wetlands in Florida}, Patience!! Essie Everglades Patience!! But the shelter's vet had been bit by a poisonous spider, and he needed to recover from that before spaying my adult dog. I could not take Essie home until post operation. This took two and a half weeks. Yes, I needed to have a lot of patience. On June 1st, 2022, {nearly two years after Rose died}, I FINALLY brought Essie HOME!! She was absolutely worth the wait!! Happy National Dog Day, y'all!! Mary Lou

We did a dog D.N.A. test on Essie!! I was BLOWN AWAY by its results!! I composed this poem after receiving them!!

{My ‘love poem’ to Essie Everglades Patience}


Written by Mary Lou


Mama loves your Siberian Husky tail;

It curls like a hook as you blaze Life’s ‘trails’;

Mama loves your Australian Cattle Dog black claws;

They are the darkest nails that I ever saw;

Mama loves your brown soulful German Shepherd eyes;

They watch hawks/birds of prey soaring in big blue skies;

Mama loves your Great Pyrenees white stomach fur;

You are obsessed with belly rubs, that’s for sure;

Mama loves your Alaskan Malamute tail;

I liked it immediately without fail;

Mama loves your Samoyed black-colored paw pads;

They are the darkest feet any of my mutts had;

Mama loves your Chow Chow blue/black-colored tongue mark;

I can only see it when you yawn or bark;

Mama loves your blocky Pit Bull Terrier head;

You were a precious surprise and randomly bred;

Mama loves your Wolf tail end’s black fur marking;

It looks like a bushy paint brush, my sweet darling;

Mama loves your Anatolian Shepherd legs; 

They run fast when there is cheese for you to you beg;

Mama loves your soft Australian Shepherd ‘butt fur’;

Also obviously known as tail feathers;

Mama loves your tough unique Rottweiler body;

It is quite muscular in the chest cavity;

Mama Loves your Siberian Husky ears;

They comprehend words that I say, things you hear;

Mama loves your Australian Cattle Dog whiskers;

They are black, stand out against fur that’s red-colored;

Mama loves your distinctive German Shepherd butt;

You are my sweet mongrel/Heinz 57/mutt!!


No comments:

Post a Comment